Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camp Mail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camp Mail
    Posted: 18 April 2012 at 5:13pm
A few days ago, I met Ed Gosnell and swapped some words with him about “Camp Mail”. He has invited me to post my scans in this forum - what I like to do even though I know not how far it can be of interest for the members of this forum.

I reproduce my e-mail to Ed:

Dear Ed,

thanks for Your answer. In first, an apology: I don’t speak English and to communicate I make do whit the few works which I know and an dictionary. For this ration my phrases are simple and probably incorrect. I beg You to have patience.

Now to our hobby: I'm impressed by your “Camp Mail” site and send you a scan of my camp items:

Scan 1: With this private seal canceled cover I am very satisfied because the postmark touches the stamp and it is a relatively late use of Camp Mail. Although only the second digit of the year ("6") can be seen, it will be probably B.S. 96 (A.D. 1940).

Scan 2: This is an unusual 4 paisa franked Sawari letter (A.D. 1914), which is still misterios for me. In appearance, it is not a double weight letter - if ever the weight had any incidence in the cost of Camp Mail. On the other hand I am reluctant to believe that it is only an error of postage by the sender, because usually the nepalese people are very accurate in the possibility of not spending too much. As said, up to now I have not a clear opinion on this cover.

Scan 3: Is a problem child of my collection. Apart from the fact that it is only the front side of a cover - but this is not particularly disturbing me - the prolem is the horrible strike of the seal. With plenty of imagination and a large portion of doubt, I believe to see a strike of the Camp Seals. Anyway, the stike is so terrible that he is not worthy to be exhibited and in future I must replace the cover with a better one.

Finally, two very dubious items:

Scan 4: is of beautiful appearance - but in my opinion not genuine. Although the ink is old, the writing of the sender is correct for this time and also the stamp is genuine, the entire seems me wrong because the stamp is a telegraph iusses. Too,I have never seen this seal.

Scan 5: This is a cover, which still my father has bought in the 1980 years for a lot of money, but I have the biggest doubt about the authenticity and have expelled the cover from my collection.

Ed - as you can see - I have much more doubt than I have letters...

Best regards,
                                   Herbert

Scan 1

Scan 2

Scan 3

Scan 4

Scan 5
M.H.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 5:43pm

Dear Herbert,

Welcome at the Forum. Very nice covers you show here and as you mentioned, even more questions and doubts. I trust you will find some qualified answers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic