Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Royal Visits in Nepal from 1876

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 4:03pm

This is Leo's other scan.

Colin
colinhepper
colinscovers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinscovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 10:56pm

I have tried to show a larger copy. Hope it works. Such a lovely cover deserves to be seen

Would the cancel be one duplex cancel or is the single circle and bars two seperate items? They look to be together but on my cover they are seperate.

Colin
Colin
Collector of Royal Visits on cover
colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 6:28am
I believe The Royal Guest House Post Office was used occassionally for visits of other VIP's to Nepal although I only have a 'philatelic' cover dated 11 May 1963.

Colin Hepper
colinhepper
Leo View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:23pm
I believe it is a duplex type cancel.  Hellrigl describes it as such.

Leo
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 11:12am
Dear Ed,

may be these pictures are interesting for you:

1. Nice card Wateren No. 18 (damaged by a hungry worm):

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Postkarte-Wateren-18%282a%29.html

2. Postcard “Hunting Camp 1921”:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Ansichtskarten/Karte-540.html

(click on “großes Bild” to find an explanation)

3. Some more pictures of my Nepal- website:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/CoronationDurbar.html
http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/George-TigerShoot1.html
http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/George-TigerShoot2.html

4. Queen Elisabeth and Charles following the Royal tradition of visiting Nepal - not hunting!!!

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Elizabeth.html
http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Charles.html

Greetings from germany,
Johannes
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:52am

I just found the shown cover on ebay and thought to post the picture before the auction disappears.

Ed Gosnell View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 2:23am
I checked out the cover on eBay.  Also there is a bit of a prolem with it.  Acccording to Dr. Hellrigl, the prince was in Nepal from December 14th to the 21st.  This cover is dated in November.   
Ed Gosnell
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 6:41am

Dear Ed,

Thanks for your comment. Since the cover is dated November, does this mean the cover is "bogus" or has the cancel just been used at a later date, maybe a favor cancel?

Leo View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 3:45pm
I believe that these Camp cancels were used during the Princes of Wales various trips  through out India as well as Nepal.  The date of the cancel determines the location.  The cover is genuine.

Leo
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 10:49am
Not just philatelic - but nice: on the occasion of the journey of Prince Albert Edward, later King Edward VII, to India in 1876, a Souvenir CDV-photo was sold:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Geschichte/Albert_Edward(1876).html

Johannes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinscovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 8:25pm
This does not quite fit with the heading which possibly should be altered to Royal Visits in Nepal from 1876 if possible. (Done by Administrator).

The Prince of Wales left Portsmouth on 26th October 1921 finally arriving in Bombay 17th November having called at Gibraltar, Malta, , Egypt, Suez and Aden en route. He travelled India extensively until 17th March 1922. From here he went to Ceylon, Malaya, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Manila Brunei, and Penang before returning to Plymouth 20th June 1922. A trip of 8 months.

This is where you will have to forgive my lack of knowledge of Nepal. From the book The Kings Story the itinery says he went to Bhikan Thori 14th to 21st December 1921, wereas another says he met the Maharaja of Nepal at Thikna Thori and then spent a week enjoying a tour of Nepel

There are 4 things to look four. The common cancel as the one above. My example below is on POW stationary and was sent by one of the military personel.

There is then a circle which was said to be for registered mail but often appears on normal mail but is scarcer than the first type. This is shown on the cover below for which I have the registered receipt to go with it. (Good old George King)

There is also a delivery mark ( dated 22nd Dec !) and a postage due

I have never considered looking for covers dated in Nepal. Would you class these as desirable during the dates in Nepal?

Looking through photocopies I have I did find one dated in Nepal and a closer look makes me think I maybe should have aquired it. Can anyone shed any light on the signature in the corner?

Whilst not Nepal I hope the aboves helps

Colin

Edited by administrator - 03 October 2011 at 8:31am
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 7:37pm
I have just added a section on Prime Minister Hunting Camp Mail to my web site at Nepalstamps.com.  A number of the covers shown here plus some new material are shown along with some additional information which may be of interest.
Ed Gosnell
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 1:19am

For the record, both the Nepalese and British/Indian Royal Camp Postmarks of 1911 were forged as shown on the cover pictured below.  The forged Nepalese marking is a tiny bit larger than the genuine.  The bottoms of the G and the R in the GRI inscription on the British postmark do not overlap on the forged mark as they do on the genuine.  This lack of overlap can just barely be seen inside the red square on the cover below.  The forgeries are always dated 26 December.  Dr. Hellrigl has good illustrations in his book on the British/Indian Post Office in Nepal.  This cover appears to have been a genuine old cover addressed to London to which the Indian stamps and postmarks have been added over the original markings.  A small bit of an original postmark peeks through between the right most Indian and the Nepalese stamp. 

Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 10:09am
Those who are interested in the Royal Visits in Nepal might be interested in the part "Big Game Hunting" of my website:

Big Game Hunting (German)

Maybe this is the english google-translation:

Big Game Hunting (English)

I hope the translation works,

Johannes
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 2:57pm
A reaaly nice section, Johannes.  I enjoyed reading it. Excellent information.
Best regards, Ed Gosnell
Ed Gosnell
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2012 at 2:37pm
Hi Ed,

there are a lot of news in the "Big Game Hunting“-section:

German (original)

google-English

I hope you like it,

Johannes
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2015 at 1:45pm
Dear all,

as this thread about the Royal Visits in Nepal is not OT, I want to send a link to the corresponding part of my Nepal website. Sorry, the text is written in German. Nevertheless some photos are worth to see. Please click onto the small photos to get them bigger:

Big Game Hunting

Best wishes,
Johannes
colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 12:29pm
I enjoyed reading it.  Well done Johannes
colinhepper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinscovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2015 at 9:53pm

Hi

I have finally managed to get a cover from Nepal for the 1911 King Emperors visit following his attendance at the Durbar. It looks like there is a crease at the top right but this is more of a wrinkle in the paper as not on the reverse.

All I need now is some information to help me write it up. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Colin

Colin
Collector of Royal Visits on cover
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:46am
Dear Colin,

congratulation to your cover. In my exhibit I have a similar cover and I just show my description.

Best wishes,
Johannes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic