Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Fakes, forgeries, altered and counterfied items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 Trangka mystery stamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Trangka mystery stamp
    Posted: 04 November 2011 at 12:28pm

The shown stamps are well known among the Tibet collectors, however the story behind is, at least in my opinion, not yet completely solved. I am aware of the few articles i.e. by Dr. Oakley Shields and the remarks in Dahnke’s Tibet handbook however, additional information is much appreciated.

I show two such stamps I have in my collection, is any member is having more copies, maybe even multiples to check plating possibility?

Edited by administrator - 09 November 2011 at 1:06pm
Yeti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 7:20pm
Hi Rainer!
I have some too in my collection, but have placed them in the same album as the "Officials", i.e. I doubt they
are genuine, either for postage or revenue. Tibet had good engravers who did a wonderful work within their
limited resources to produce the printing plates for the stamps. They did the same good work for the radio-telegraph paymentlabels. Why should they suddenly produce a work looking like they had taken a dose of LSD before they started to engrave? I really don´t belive in it.
The Yeti
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:32am

In his book „The Essays and Proofs of Tibet“, Armand Singer writes about the 3 Trangka stamp, however, he also mentioned a 5 tr. Stamp. Has any member seen that stamp of is having information about it?

Yeti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 11:36pm
The question is, from were did Armand Singer got his information? The tibetan engravers did excellent works, either it was about stamps, monastry books or whatever. Why they should have an "hangoverday" just then they engraved the revenues is another question?
But I suppose this is a matter just as the "Officials". Noone knows for certain and we can all belive in whatever we like. 
The Yeti
Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:08pm
Hi !Now I've some free time, I can make some comments about oldies (but goodies !) in the forum - dating from 2011 !!!
The illustrated stamp is a purported 3 Sran value, but there exists also a 3 trangka purported value. I've got one many years ago, possibly form Michael Rogers' auctions, and don't even remember which one of them it was. But no matter, this was just for fun ! In fact, due to their perfect awfulness as well in the design as in the tibetan writing, it must be ascertained that they are not at all "Tibetan". And sorry Yeti, no need to intake psychotrops to produce such an horror. "In my opinion", this would have resulted in a much more elegant and elaborate production! Actually, I consider those items as a completeley "BOGUS" issue, possibly manufactured either in Nepal or in India. This consideration also applies to the so-called "officials", with their terrific abominous designs and writing. It is to be noted that even FAKES have been produced from the "Original Bogus" !!! as per Geoffrey Flack. And concerning the Armand Singer's illustration, the 3rd paragaph only related to the "revenue" stamp. The 2 firsts relates to a genuine FISCAL receipt discovered by Geoff. Best !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic