Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Classic Stamps (Kukris issues)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sparks Auction - 1/2 Anna Block of 24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sparks Auction - 1/2 Anna Block of 24
    Posted: 02 June 2012 at 1:45am
The Sparks Auction House in Ottawa Canada has a number of telegraph era items in its late June auction that are rather impressive.  These all appear to be genuine.  Many apparently have Hellrigl certificates.  There are three large blocks of the 1/2 anna orange including what appears to be the famous mint Heddergott block of 24 plus two large used pieces, one of which I believe belonged to Dr. Singer.  The link to this site is as follows:  http://stampauctionnetwork.com/ik/ik10.cfm .   There are also a number of Tibetan items which are outside my area of knowledge but which look very interesting.   These were apparently all from the collection of a Mr. Kershaw.  Is anyone familiar with this gentleman?   
Ed Gosnell
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 3:44pm

The 1/2 Anna blocks were part of my collection and i had sold these blocks some time ago to a dealer in USA. I am very surprised to see these blocks on auction again.

A search on the Internet brought up the apparent previous owner to be a famous Canadian collector who was busy plating Nepal and Tibet.

QUOTE:

Ken (Kenneth Kershah) is currently plating stamps of Nepal and Tibet, with a side line building detailed replicas of multi-masted 19th century sailing ships. We wish him well in those endeavours.

QUOTE:

Ken apparently wrote several books dealing with Newfoundland, published by the British North America Philatelic Society (BNAPS) Ltd.

Edited by Rainer - 03 June 2012 at 4:09pm
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 2:48pm
I have placed an add of the auction hopuse on the Home Page of the NTPSC.

Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 6:08pm

The auction is over and i would say, the results for the seller and auction house are mostly disappointing. Of course, the buyers should be happy. What is you opining about that?

gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:07am
In the preface of the NEPAL & TIBET THE KEN KERSHAW COLLECTION Sparks-Auctions writes:

„Although Ken is still working with the pashupati issues the time has come to move on to other pursuits“

So maybe he just lost his interest in plating stamps of Nepal and Tibet and does not care about the prices he gets. In the description of some lots we find statements like this: „Owner paid $3,000“. I guess he spent a lot of money in buying and I guess he knew that he will not get the same amount in selling. There were just too many items. Nevertheless  it is surprising that the rare items did not achieve higher prices.

Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic