Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Pashupati Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imperfect Printing - 1° Pashupati Stamp Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbert Mailänder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperfect Printing - 1° Pashupati Stamp Issue
    Posted: 07 April 2016 at 7:53pm

Imperfect Printing - 1° Pashupati Stamp Issue

Letter posted at Birganj to Kathmandu – A.D. May 1923

Although my collectors interest is primarely focused on the Postal History of Nepal, nonetheless I was intrigued by this letter in order the unusual aspect of 8 Paisa stamp. Until this moment I was not particularly attracted by printing variations of stamps and so I had first of all to familiarizing with the theme - but I fear without a mentionable success. The peculiarity for that I can not give me a tangible explanation is the sharp and well-defined shape of the colorless area: Only the mountains are unprinted whereas the edge of the sky and also Pashupati's arm are correctly reported. I would have expected as a matter of fact that an insufficient inking of a monocolored cliche should have produced a random white field on the stamp with soft borders that would have invaded as well the sky and the image of the Pashupati divinity.

I would be very grateful to receive the opinions and suggestions of collectors who have more knowledge than me about the printing peculiarities of the Pashupati stamp issues.

----------------------------------------------------

Herbert Mailänder

Richard Frajola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2016 at 7:54pm
Herbert - Although I have seen similar "void area" printing flaws in the Nepal Printed Pashupati issues, it is less likely to be a printing flaw on the 1907 issue because of better quality control employed by Perkins Bacon.

In general flaws like that can be the result of a paper overlay during printing or a "dry print" where the plate was either not inked correctly, or over-wiped before printing.

Having said that, I think what we are looking with your stamp is a post-printing fault. Maybe another gummed stamp pulled away some of the surface or maybe the stamp received some other form of surface rubbing.
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com
Herbert Mailänder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbert Mailänder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2016 at 11:43am
Dear Richard

Thanks for your tips. I also had thought about these hypotheses, however those have not led me to explain the unspoiled skyline. A "dry printing of a monoplate" or "post-printing fault" would probably have produced a void area with random borders which likely would not follow exact the skyline.

I am still astonished by the strange intactness of the Skyline and I am grateful for any further opinion or information.

----------------------------------------------------

Herbert Mailänder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2016 at 2:02pm
Over-wiping of the plate would leave ink only in the deepest grooves. Also partial dry print caused by under-inking. In either case, the result would be the same; the mountains which are deeper cut would show and the more shallow lines would not.

In short, without finding multiple copies of the same variety, you have to assume the most plausible cause - a non constant printing variety.
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2016 at 4:11pm
I just uploaded a scan of an 8p proof sheet dated in margin 13 Sep 1913. I see no plate flaws.

Image here:

http://www.rfrajola.com/nepal/8psheet.jpg
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com
gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2016 at 3:59am
Nice sheet.  Does it have an inscription "8 pice lake?"
gemtree

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2016 at 10:57am
The bottom margin at extreme lower left has "8 LAKE"

image here: http://www.rfrajola.com/nepal/8lake.jpg

In the right margin, somebody has also added, at a later date, "wmk" in pencil with an arrow pointing to position 70 impression which shows a portion of the watermark.
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com
gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2016 at 11:27am
I am wondering if this sheet is from Dr. Armand Singer's collection.  He pictures a similar sheet in his book which is unfortunately clipped off at the edges of the picture so that the sheet margins cannot be seen.  However, he notes the 8 lake inscription and the date in the text.  If you are unfamiliar with his book, it is very interesting but the quality of the images is terrible because it was printed using an old xerox machine.
gemtree

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2016 at 11:32am
Yes, the sheet is ex Singer
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2016 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Richard Frajola Richard Frajola wrote:

The bottom margin at extreme lower left has "8 LAKE"

image here: http://www.rfrajola.com/nepal/8lake.jpg

In the right margin, somebody has also added, at a later date, "wmk" in pencil with an arrow pointing to position 70 impression which shows a portion of the watermark.

Richard,

has the image n your server been already deleted? I get the famous 404 error (file not found)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Frajola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2016 at 4:26pm
Fixed now. SOrry.
Richard Frajola
www.rfrajola.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic