Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanumannagar Mahasul Chukti Cover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Gosnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanumannagar Mahasul Chukti Cover?
    Posted: 19 February 2011 at 3:34am

I obtained the cover shown below as part of a lot that I bought on eBay a few months ago.  It was obviously mailed from Hanumannagar to Kathmandu on 36/1/30 B.S. or mid May 1879 by the western calendar which, of course, is a very early date for postal service mail.  It appears to be addressed to the prime minister.  However, it is not stamped with any official or personal seal of the sender.  It does not appear to have the obvious Mahasul Chukti manuscript endorsements.  Unfortunately, I am unable to read most of the Nepalese text.  I am wondering if it could be a Mahasul Chukti cover which has some form of non standard endorsement. (For those unfamiliar with the pre-stamp postal service mail of Nepal used between 1879 and 1881, Mahasul Chukti or Postage Paid mail was the first government mail service offered to the common people.  Previous government mail service was restricted to official mail and the mail of the nobility.  This early private mail had a written endosement indicating that the postage fees had been paid.  Please refer to page 32 of Dr. Shrestha's Nepalese Postal History for a more detailed explanation.)  I would greatly appreciate any information or comments about this cover.  Thanks. 

Ed Gosnell
colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 6:08pm
Hi Ed.
I have 5 pre-stamp covers similar to yours all dated between 1879and 1881  from Palpa, Kalaiya, Jaleswar, Sisa Gahdi and Hanummangar all with Ktm. receiving pmks, non of which have Mahasul Chukti written on them.  Ramesh Shrestha states that 'mails of the general public were usually scripted 'Mahasul Chukti' but that is not born out by my covers. In fact Mahasul Chukti covers in my opinion are very scarce as I have handled a good number of early covers and as yet have not seen one. I hope that this will have been of some help to you.  The other person who may be able to help you is Leo Martyn as he has a few in his collection.

Regards
Colin Hepper Cry

colinhepper
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 4:53pm
Hi Ed and Colin,

your posting is from 2011. Sorry, I just see it now.

I think I have a Mahasul Chukti cover in my collection:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Philatelie/Mahasul.html

Please let me know if you have another opinion.

Regards,
Johannes
gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 10:00am
Looks good to me.  A very nice cover!
gemtree
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 10:10am
Thank you,

sorry, now it is no more on my website. You can see it here:

http://www.bilder-aus-nepal.de/Pages/Philatelie/Brief/Class-01-Jumla-Mahasul-Chukti.html
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 6:06pm
Sorry, I just notice now, the actual link is:

Mahasul-Chukti cover

Best wishes,
Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic