Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nangartse, late Registration Handstamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nangartse, late Registration Handstamp
    Posted: 29 March 2011 at 4:28pm
Since very long I have a cover in my collection which I only "found" again recently. Apparently it bears a late registration marking from Nangartse on a cover franked with issue 1933. Has some member seen this marking before?
Unfortunately Wolfgang Hellrigl, who kept track on markings, has past away so I can not ask him anymore since this handstamp, which is similar to the early registration handstamps from Lhasa, is not listed in Hellrigl's book "The Postal markings of Tibet.

Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 7:50pm
Well, this seems to be indeed "sna-rtse" i.e. the middle "gar" is omitted,so a possible abbrevation (not unfrequent),which in full will make "sna-gar-rtse", (if you guess that the omitted syllable is really "gar") i.e. Nagartse (otherwise, in bad translations which mix real transliteration and pronunciation, (but, out of scientific knowlege) and not according to the universally agreed phonetical system ! Otherwise, if you sell, I'm possibly interested ! Best regards.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2011 at 7:42am
Sometime coincidence helps. While arranging a few non-stamps items to be offered on ebay i opened a cardboard box, untouched in my stamp room since several years, and noted some old Postal Himal extracts i had prepared years go. And surprisingly, in PH 1. quarter 1996, Wolfgang Hellriogl has shown just that postmark as new Type (T81) from Nangartse. I attached an extract of the article for reference.
Yeti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2011 at 1:52pm
I have a registered cover from Lhasa with a mark very similar to the discussed Nangartse mark. Bought from
a dealer in USA about 1959-60 or so if I remember right. At least the first part of the mark is a bit indistinct,
but it looks like the text ends with "napechhupa" or similar. As most of us I am not "fluent" in that for us
strange language.
The cover itself is interesting in that matter that it belongs to the "Postmaster frauds" category. The postmaster used two 1 tranka stamps instead of two 2 tranka stamps and could put 2 of the 4 trankas the
customer paid in his own pocket. To hide what was going on he placed the postmark exactly over the value
figures of the stamps.
I don´t see a link "add an image", so unfortunately I am unable to show you what it looks like.
The Yeti
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic