Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibet, 1933 issue, 4 Trangka cover dated 1935

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibet, 1933 issue, 4 Trangka cover dated 1935
    Posted: 17 November 2011 at 7:54am

It was always believed that the 4 tr. registered rate was introduced at about 1942/43. The shown cover I recently purchased is franked with a total of 4 Trangka, early printings and postmarked 1935, however, neither on front nor on reverse of the cover there are any markings that indicate the cover was indeed mailed by registered mail.

The Tibetan stamps looks like are cancelled by Lhasa (Hellrigl) T42 postmark

There are several possibilities:

• The cover was indeed a registered letter but no registration markings were added and the 4 Trangka rate was already introduced earlier
  • The cover is sent by ordinary mail but overfranked, but this is unlikely since the normal rate at that time was ½ Trangka only.
  • The Tibetan stamps were added to a 1935 India-Tibet cover.
  • The postmark on the Tibetean stamps is fake

What is the opinion of the members here? Who is having a 1933 issue registered cover dated 1935 or close to that year??

Edited by Rainer - 17 November 2011 at 8:05am
chenna2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenna2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 1:34pm
I have almost the same cover in my collection. Two remarks about ti:
The cancel used for it is single ring, that is the cancel that was only used in the later years, so the chance that the stamp and cancel was added in a later moment is acceptable. Looking at the paper construction, it MIGHT be that my 4-trangka is is forgery, but very hard to judge.  Flack offered a similar cover in July 1999. I give you his comments about it:

Edited by administrator - 12 August 2012 at 3:43pm
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 6:24pm

Dear Ed,

thanks for sharing this image with us..., i also believe that the cover I have shown is manipulated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic