Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Iraq Railway stamps from the 1920th and onwards > Iraq Railway stamps from the 1920th and onwards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Station Codes for Railway Stations???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Station Codes for Railway Stations???
    Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:55pm

I have a cover in my collection addressed to Ottoman Bank, Baghdad. However, the address side of the cover also indicates:

To be posted at arrival at BMG Station.

From KHR Station.

This puzzles me a bit. Can it be that Railways stations also had a 3 letter coder??? If so, what stations are meant by BMG and KHR and have other stations also codes?

The image shows the front of the cover plus a part of the back of the cover.

coop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:20pm
I am Italian and I collect used Irak, I don't speak well the English and I make me help from a translator for PC  
My announcement is valid for all those that want to help me to complete my collection Irak, I buy and exchange  
I always announce valid and I answer to everybody
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2010 at 11:35am
Finally i am able to decipher the stations codes.

This cover was posted from KHR as it says on it which is almost certain Khanaqin Railway Station.
It states that it should be posted on arrival at BMG which stands for Baghdad West (M.G.) M.G. refers to Metric Gauge, hence Baghdad Metric Gauge.
There should be another code BSG for Baghdad West (S.G.) whereas S.G. refers to Standard Gauge.

Edited by Rainer - 02 January 2010 at 11:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic