Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuledhar Pratekeman Covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuledhar Pratekeman Covers
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 11:55am

Do any Tibet collectors have detailed knowledge of the system that operated regarding 1950s Tibet mail sent from all around the world to Tuledhar Pratekeman, a Nepalese stamp collector who lived in Lhasa?

I understand that  Pratekeman encouraged people to write to him in Lhasa c/o the (Indian) Post Office at Gyantse. Letters were then forwarded to Lhasa from the (Tibetan) Post Office in Gyantse, after Tibetan postage stamps had been affixed and franked, thus creating an interesting and collectable combination cover. I have examples in my collection.   Note: This information was gathered from Postal Himal, Geoffrey Flack's old website + other sources.

I have a number of questions that I would appreciate answers to:
(1)  Was Pratekeman a stamp collector who encouraged others to write to him so that he could gather world wide stamps for his own collection?  Or were the resulting 'Tibetanised'  covers sent back to those who had sent them?
(2) Did he supply Tibetan stamps on request?
(3) Where did he advertise his address?

Brian W Smith

Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 4:34pm

Pratekman Tuladhar, sometimes also written as P.Man Tuladhar was the grand-daughter of Tsarong Shape, Minister and the Master of the Mint in Lhasa. Apparently, a number of collectors corresponded with here, however, if this was initiated by herself or on behalf of some Tibet collectors I do not know.

How the covers appeared later on in the hands of collectors I only can speculate. Whether she by her self had contact with dealers, maybe some other local people, maybe the sender of the letters asked her to return the covers, we only can speculate.

Brian Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:17am
This is interesting Rainer. I read somewhere - I think it was Geoffrey Flack - that Tuladhar was a Nepalese. What is the source of your information? 
Brian Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:35pm
Rainer, it would be useful to myself and other Tibet collectors in our community if you could tell us  the source of the information about Pratekman Tuladhar that you have given above. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic