Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nepal-India Cover with NEPAL Postmark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nepal-India Cover with NEPAL Postmark
    Posted: 18 June 2013 at 6:32am

Greetings,

A friend asked me if I can help with the cover as per the image. The stamps are cancelled in addition to the normal postmark with a NEPAL Marking.

I have never seen this; on the other hand, modern Nepal is not my area. Any help appreciated.

colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 7:44pm
The NEPAL hand stamp across the stamps is I believe the same as that used by the Residency P.O. to stamp registration labels.  Having said that I have no idea why they should have used it in this way and I have never seen any other examples like this.
colinhepper
colinhepper View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinhepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 7:51pm
Another thought on this, the postmarks are not very clear but do not look like a Residency postmark. So it is possible that the NEPAL handstamp was used to cancel the stamps at the Residency P.O. and the other circular postmarks were either receiving or transit postmarks.
colinhepper
Bruno LE PEUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruno LE PEUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 12:32pm
The postmark is not clear but it's may be Jogbani / Purnea in India. It could be a letter from Nepal to Nepal, send the other side of the Nepal border in India in Jogbani (Purnea district) India, with 5 annals 3 pies (registered rate?) to Kathmandu. It could be interesting to see the other side of the cover.
If the letter was sent from India, the Jogbani post office could have use this handstamp to confirm that the cover was from Nepal. I never saw this handstamp "NEPAL".

Bruno LE PEUT
gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 4:18am
I agree with Colin that this postmark resembles the type used on residency registration labels.  However, it appears to be Hellrigl B70 which was supposedly used between 1914 and 1916 rather than the smaller B71 used after 1926.  Note how wide the "N" is compared to B71 for example.  A very interesting item.
gemtree
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic