Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Nepal Postmarks and Postal History
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High Frankings in the Pashupati Era (1907-1949)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Frankings in the Pashupati Era (1907-1949)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbert Mailänder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Frankings in the Pashupati Era (1907-1949)
    Posted: 27 September 2015 at 10:28pm

HIGH FRANKINGS IN THE PASHUPATI ERA (1907-1949)

I start by saying - if my memory does not make mistakes - what years ago Dr. Hellrigl had told me during a conversation about the highest frankings recorded in the Pashhupati period: He was telling me that the highest frankings recorded with stamps the first two Pashupati issues (and therefore of the first half of the Pashupati Era) are letters franked with 36 Paisa. Different is the situazone for the second half of the Pashupati Era, because it is existing a letter with stamps of the 3rd issue, dated 1946, weighing 7 Tolas and franked with 52 Paisa. Dr. Hellrigl had described this rate champion of the Pashupati Era also on pages 98 of the book: "Native postmarks of Nepal".

As I have already mentioned in another topic, the current times are very favorabile for Pashupati collectors because many material is offered. Coincidentally just in the last five months have appeared on Ebay letters which dethrone in part the chiampions recorded by the Dr. Hellrigl:

STAMP ISSUE

For this issue the maximum threshold of 36 paisa mentioned by Dr.Hellrigl is still valid, bad Ebay has offered a cover of nice aesthetic appearance:

25.06.1929 – 36 Paisa registered cover from THAK to KATHMANDU: 2 Tola overweight and acknowledgment due.

2° STAMP ISSUE

With regard to this issue has appeared a cover that raises the maximum threshold of high frankings for the first half of the Pashupati Era at 44 Paisa:

18.10.1930 – 44 Paisa registered local cover KATHMANDU: 3 Tola overweight and acknowledgment due.

This cover is interesting, a part for the high postage, also for two additional aspects: Besides the mixing of stamps of the 1st and 2nd issue, the letter is also one of the first usages of stamps of the 2nd issue, just issued in October 1930.

3° STAMP ISSUE

This 64 Paisa letter is really of large format (about the size of an A4 sheet) and is one year younger than his little brother of 52 Paisa described above by Dr. Hellrigl.:

12.02.1947 –  64 Paisa registered local cover JALESWAR: 10 Tola overweight

I would greatly appreciate any correction, comment or information about other covers 

-------------------------------------------

Herbert Mailänder

Herbert Mailänder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herbert Mailänder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2015 at 10:41am
I have tried to correct a typing error in my post above, but without success: therefore, in the legend of the 44Paisa cover the words "3 Tola overweight" should be understood as  "4 Tola overweight".
-------------------------------------------

Herbert Mailänder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic