Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Nepal > Classic Stamps (Kukris issues)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dull Violet-Blue vs. the Deep Blue 2 Anna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentominoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dull Violet-Blue vs. the Deep Blue 2 Anna
    Posted: 22 November 2006 at 6:35pm
Hello. I've recently become interested in the bluish shades found in the early 2 anna settings. In The Classic Stamps of Nepal there is Setting 5 with deep blue and blue-violet, and setting 9 with a dull violet-blue. Additionally, setting 20 has a violet-blue variety. Is there any reliable way to tell the difference between "dull violet-blue" and the blue 2 anna error of color? In The Armand E. Singer Nepal 1772-1961 and beyond, it is described as just "blue." In The Classic Stamps of Nepal, though, it's referred to as "deep blue" and "dark blue." Perhaps if anyone could show me an example of the contemporary 1 anna blue that it shares a shade with this could clear this up for me. Thank you for any advice.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 3:50am

Greetings,

Welcome to the Discussion Forum.

As already indicated in the other threat regarding the color guide for the classic issues, the main problem on these issues is that the mentioned catalogues/handbooks does not specify what color reference had been used. We only can hope that a future revision of the handbooks will include such a reference.

gemtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 3:59pm
I have noticed that the shades for the 2 anna 1886 thin paper printings seem to slide in color from a blue or blue with a very slight touch of violet shade through various violet blue shades to finally what would be termed distinctly violet shades.  Since violet is a mixture of red and blue, it seems to me that the original blue shade might have resulted because the two anna values were printed after the one anna values by simply adding red ink to the blue ink left over from the one anna printings.  It appears to me that the red ink might have been added on a sort of trial and error basis until the proper color was achieved.  Given the low income level of the country and the general disregard for consistancy that would characterize a craft verses industrial based society, it would come as no surprise that these trial printings would simply be mixed in with the final lot of stamps shipped to the postal department rather than being thrown away.  Paper to the Nepalese printer would have not been the nearly worthless commodity that it is to us and would not have been wasted simply because the printing varied somewhat in color from the prescribed outcome.
gemtree
pentominoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentominoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 1:04am
Thank you very much, that's coming to some sort of conclusion. Perhaps it's not as clear-cut as outlined in The Classic Stamps of Nepal. It only gets more difficult to find out something with surety the more time passes.

Thanks.
The Post Office Department is not running a jackpot operation.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 3:47am
I haver heard that Wolfgang Hellrigl is considering a revision of his Nepal Handbook. Maybe we can convince him to choose, based on the feedback of other collectors, a color guide which is easy to purchase, easy to use and comprehensive enough to cover the shades.

I mentioned it earlier, the biggest problem in naming color shades is not defining a color reference. 

Edited by Rainer
pentominoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentominoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:43am
Do you know where we can contact Dr. Hellrigl to show our support for this? A counter argument for reference to a color guide could be the fluid spread that a sheet of stamps can contain. In confining a certain color the great variation would be lost. In counter argument, The Classic Stamps of Nepal should contain a couple colors in a color guide between which or on that particular shade is. Or does anyone else have a better suggestion? Thanks.
The Post Office Department is not running a jackpot operation.
steve fass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 11:56am
Re 2 anna blue error of colour;The best way to verify the true error is to compare with the relatively common 1 anna deep blue as often 2 anna will appear deep blue but has a slight violet tinge whereas the "true" deep blue has no such tinge. It is interesting that this error does occur in multiples and I have seen a strip of 5 but the colour was identical to the one anna
gandarva View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandarva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 9:27pm
Yes, may be it is a good way to compare the colour with the contemporary 1 Anna. This is the 1 Anna of 1886 -  setting 4, 5 or 6. Unfortunately I do not have a 1 Anna definitely of one of these settings. I have a block of 4 of the 2 Annas I suppose to be of setting 5 (error of colour). It looks dark blue similar to some 1 Anna stamps I got.

It shows a part of the sheet inscription with “tekat” (= stamp) above cliché 4 (top right stamp). Hellrigl/vignola show a part of the sheet inscription of setting 4 on page 126 with the heads of the letters next the stamps. And they show the top sheet inscription of setting 6 on page 129 with the bottom of the letters next the stamps. Unfortunately they do not show the inscription of setting 5. And they say, the inscription of setting 6 is identical to setting 5, except that it is shifted 6 mm to the right. On the picture of setting 6 on page 129 the third word (tekat = stamp) could actually be 6 mm right of the same word of my block of 4. So I conclude it is of setting 5 (error of colour). Any idea to my conclusion? Thanks for any help,
Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic