Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Domestic rate - Tibet to Nepal, Sikkim, Kalimpong
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Domestic rate - Tibet to Nepal, Sikkim, Kalimpong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprucehaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Domestic rate - Tibet to Nepal, Sikkim, Kalimpong
    Posted: 31 December 2009 at 8:55pm
For a period of time, mails from Tibet to Nepal, Sikkim and Kalimpong, India paid a domestic rate of 8 fen postage instead of the normal 22 fen overseas rate.  Can anyone tell me when did this begin and end, and any information about this postal arrangement?

The Tibet to Nepal mail with a domestic rate I have was postmarked June 2, 1962, see below.  A cover I saw on the internet postmarked September 6, 1964 had an overseas 22 fen rate.  So some time between these dates, the rate changed.

Additional questions:
1. Did the domestic mail rate also apply to the rest of India or just restricted to Kalimpong, West Bengal?
2. Was mail to Bhutan also had the domestic rate?

Thanks.

http://home.swbell.net/hoe424/img174b.jpg
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 11:06am
I have posted today a similar question here on the forum.

The covers I have are all sent to Kalimpong, dated 1955 and are franked with (old currency) $400, $450, $500 and $800. The rates also puzzle me.
Bob Gilbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Gilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 11:19pm
I have two covers that add a little to the confusion. One from Nielamu, 15 March 1966, to Kathmandu has the 22 fen rate (2 x 10f + 2f). The other is also from Nielamu, 1 July 1972, to Lalitpore, but with the 8 fen rate. It is marked 'Book Post' so perhaps printed paper went at the old domestic rate while letters were charged at 22 fen.

Bob Gilbert
Bob Gilbert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic