Rainer's Stamp Corner  

Forum Home Forum Home > Tibet > Tibet Postmarks and Postal History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1933 issue, 4 Tr. Perforated stamps on cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1933 issue, 4 Tr. Perforated stamps on cover
    Posted: 29 January 2010 at 5:58am
A question which puzzles several collectors is why the 4 tr. perforated stamps of the 1933 issues are so rare on cover.
It could be that in early 1933 when the perforated stamps of the first setting were issued there was no need for them since the postage rate was relatively low. Only in the later years, when the registration rate was raised to 4 Tr. there was a need for them.

The few known covers with the 4 Tr. perforated stamps are all canceled with postmarks where the second outer ring was removed, an indication of the late use.

So, had the stamps been printed but kept in the drawer for 10-15 years?

Any suggestions welcomed.
Snow Lion View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:22pm
The last suggestion is the more possible: many perforated 4 trangka stamps are known on "souvenir" pieces, or even covers made at the time of the first British Mission to Lhassa (i.e. somewhat a "consulate"),
for exemple, the so called "Christmas Covers" from Sir Basil Gould, or the many "souvenir" covers purportedly sent from Lhassa by the U.S. reporter Lowell Thomas. These are obvious C.T.O., but some containing very interesting stamps: rare early printing shades, or even PROOFS !
Those above items, though quite rare, evidently range from the years 1936 to 1949, so, nothing to do with the original issue in 1933.
Well, I think that G.F. possess one or two perforated 4 trangkas to sell,on contemporary cover, I don't verify for the moment, but, it seems to be from the correct period of the stamps isuing.Best regards.
Rainer View Drop Down
NTPSC Member
NTPSC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 4:55pm

I had checked my very few covers with these stamps and all are used from Lhasa, postmarked with the Lhasa Type 8 (Hellrigl T43) without second outer ring). So I assume the stamps were printed, put in the drawer since no postal rate existed at that time and then forgotten. Only years later, when 4 Tr. was a common rate, they were rediscovered and used.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic